This recipe is an exercise in nostalgia for me. My mum used to make this regularly when I was a kid, and I could wolf down slice after slice – each covered with a thick spreading of butter. But it turns out that the recipe actually comes from my gran as I discovered when going through her old recipe books. Everybody who’s tried this seems to love it, and it’s so ridiculously easy to make that you’ve no excuse for not trying it.
Unlike most recipes, the whole thing is done by volumes rather than by weight.
My mum and my gran used to make this bran loaf for me when I was a little boy… best enjoyed with lashings of butter. #food #baking #homebakes #recipe #allbran #bran #milk #sugar #flour #sultanas #delicious #foodgram #foodgasm #foodporn #foodblr #foodblogger #foodgays #instagay #gaysofinstagram #imadethis
- 1 cup of self raising flour
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- 1 cup of dried fruit (sultanas and/or raisins are all you need)
- 1 cup of bran cereal (like Kellogg’s All Bran)
- 1 cup of milk
- A pinch of salt
- Put the milk, fruit, sugar and bran cereal in a bowl and leave to soak. My gran suggests doing this overnight, but it doesn’t take that long. Eventually it will just turn into a brown mush.
- Mix in the flour and salt.
- Transfer to a loaf tin and bake in a “moderate” oven (about 180℃) for 1 ¼ hours. However, I found that mine was ready much sooner than this so I’d suggest checking after 45 minutes.
Once cooled, serve it sliced and buttered. Delicious!